How to Recover the Administrator Account

TweakUIToday I encountered a strange problem: the main Windows account on my computer, the “Administrator” one, was missing after a reboot. The only available account was the second that I set some time ago, so I logged in with this one.

I want to share with everyone how I did to restore Administrator user. It was very simple (even if I still don’t understand the reason because it disappeared!).
Basically, it was simply excluded from the “Welcome screen“: the quickest way to restore it is TweakUI for Windows XP, a free Microsoft tool.

Just open it, go to Logon options and activate the Administrator account (or any other account that is no more available into the Welcome screen).

Now reboot… et voilà ;)

This entry was posted in Tricks. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

10 Comments

1. Seba
    Posted June 21, 2006 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Just pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice will bring up the standard Windows logon screen (the one from w2k), where you can type whatever user u want, plus password, ofcourse

2. nishant
    Posted January 17, 2007 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

well i think there is another way of geting administrator’s account on the log on screen directly but i am not so confident about that try it out >>>>>

on the time of booting ,when the window’s xp welcome screen comes , press ” Alt+Cntrl+Del ” two times immediately and see
    wheather it asks for the administrators’ login or not …….

3. Guy who cause a trouble
    Posted September 11, 2007 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Thx god u posted tis..
    My friend’s sis will definately kill him if she finds out
    (we thought we lost all her projects and stuff) phew

man cant thx u enuff

4. James
    Posted April 8, 2008 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

There is an option to hide administrators by renaming them, perhaps a program or someone else did changed this option. You can change this by doing the following: start -> control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security option -> Accounts: Rename administrator account

5. K Y
    Posted June 8, 2008 at 3:06 am | Permalink

is there a tweak also for windows vista? my admin account is gone too after i accidentally changed my SID.. i now have no access to the folders that i once have and i cant install new programs too.

im now using the guest account which i never created,im sure.

please help me. :((

6. aarya
    Posted October 3, 2008 at 8:18 am | Permalink

i m trying to do the prcess (alt+cntrl+del)twice bt it cant work at all it jst opened the end task manager

7. Posted May 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Hey I guess i was hacked or whatever last night becausei woke up with my secondary Administrator account as my primary … my main acc. wasnt there…
    if i use this will it totally bring back my Primary admin account with everything that was on it???

plz respond fasttttt

8. Joanne courtney
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I removed my administrator how do i recover it

9. Joanne courtney
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 12:22 am | Permalink

I tried hit ctrl and alt and delete still wont work

10. Johnny Don't Know Everything
    Posted June 27, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

I can not access my administrator account nor can I install any new programs, nor use my USB. I am using a guest account without sufficient privileges to access anything. A few person were using my machine and now I understood that they could have changed or hacked into my account, since then I have not let anyone else use my desktop. it is a Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, an old computer now I am trying to recover all my old documents from 3 to 4 years ago. Can someone help me to recover or access my administrator account. Thank you I really would like some assistance. I can get to the CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to the BIOS Configuration, but its impossible to install new programs and I do have a CD drive as well as a A:/ drive for a 3 1/2 disk. Again thank you and I would appreciate your assistance and knowledge to resolve this problem!